Thursday, February 2, 2023

A conversation with ChatGPT

Last January I decided to test the latest hit in Artificial Intelligence, ChatGPT from OpenAI. To do this, I carried out two independent sessions (I don’t know if the program connected them to each other). My questions had to do with the following scientific topics:

  • The first session dealt with a series of questions about the general theory of relativity, cosmological theories, and the standard cosmological model.
  • The second session dealt with the special theory of relativity, the limit of the speed of light in a vacuum, and the possibility of time travel.

After the first session, my conclusions are the following:

  1. ChatGPT returns the information little by little. One must extract it by means of carfully chosen questions. In fact, the initial answers, in addition to being incomplete, can be wrong, and it is not uncommon for several successive answers to contradict each other. Let’s look at an example:

First, I asked about Friedman's equations. The answer gave me a version of the equations without the Λ term. I then asked about the cosmological constant, the program apologized, and offered me the full version of the equations, adding as an explanation that the effect of the Λ term is to cause an accelerated expansion. When I pointed out that Λ can be positive or negative, I got a new apology, with the explanation that the observable data seems to indicate that Λ is positive.

  1. Sometimes ChatGTP makes elementary syntax errors. To a question about Fred Hoyle’s cosmology, I was answered with three paragraphs, the first of which contained these words:

While he was a proponent of a steady-state model of the universe, which proposed that new matter is continuously created to form new stars and galaxies, and the universe has no beginning and no end.

This sentence is subordinate and therefore has a beginning but has no end. In my next contribution I simply pointed out that your first paragraph has incorrect syntax. The program apologized, tried again, and offered the following version:

To clarify, Fred Hoyle was a proponent of a steady-state model of the universe, which proposed that new matter is continuously created to form new stars and galaxies and that the universe has no beginning and no end.

Which is not subordinate and therefore is correct.

  1. It is not difficult to force it to back down. For example, to my questions about the standard cosmological model, the answer was this:

The standard cosmological model, also known as the Lambda-CDM model, has a strong record of making accurate predictions about the universe.

After which it gives, as the model’s predictions, measurements of the cosmic microwave radiation, the large-scale distribution of galaxies, the observed abundance of light elements (meaning hydrogen and helium), and accelerated expansion. Predictions about dark matter are also mentioned. I then pointed out that most of these are not predictions, but adjustments to previously observed data. It apologized, accepted the correction, and pointed out that the model has made predictions not yet confirmed, such as those related to dark matter and neutrinos.

Along this session, I detected the following:

  • The answers were somewhat repetitive. During the conversation, the program answered sometimes with practically identical paragraphs.
  • The program adapted to me: it always agreed with me, never contradicted what I said, and increased the scientific level and correctness of its answers as I pointed out deficiencies.

Fred Hoyle

My conclusion was that this program only makes sense when the questioner is an expert in what is being asked. Otherwise, it is very likely that the questioner will get an incomplete idea, or even a wrong idea, about the scientific questions consulted.

At the end of this test, I thought it would be interesting to find out what would happen if ChatGPT were asked misleading questions, which would lead it down a path where it might get lost, and perhaps run into contradictions. That’s why I did the second session. But we will talk about this in my next post.

The same post in Spanish

Thematic Thread about Natural and Artificial Intelligence: Previous Next

Manuel Alfonseca

No comments:

Post a Comment