Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Science was never a danger for my Catholicism - Part I

Interview with Manuel Alfonseca. Originally published in Spanish in La NuevaRazón

Questioner: Carlos Sordo de la Rubiera

I Part

Q: Most scientists are atheists. Myth or Reality?

A: I think this is not true. Since God is obviously not an object of study by science, many scientists, relying solely on science, hold that the correct position is agnosticism. But there are other ways, apart from science, that can make us know something. In general, there are three forms of knowledge: authority, experience, and reasoning. Scientific research is just one type of reasoning; apart from it, we also have, for instance, philosophical or artistic reasoning.

Let me quote an author who is frequently said to have been an atheist, but perhaps was not. I mean Carl Sagan. He was famous by the end of the 20th century, and had a reputation of being an unbeliever. Some time ago I found a quote of his that surprised me. What he said was: An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has convincing evidence against the existence of God. And he added: I do not know such convincing evidence (Broca's Brain, chap. 25).

Q: You are well known for your position in favor of the compatibility between faith and science. I would like to know what was the origin of your scientific vocation and of your religious faith, and how both have coexisted along your life. I mean, has it been a more or less easy coexistence, or, on the contrary, did you make real efforts to make both facets compatible.

A: As the English-speaking say, I am a cradle Catholic. I was brought up in the Catholic religion, and have never lost it. As for my scientific vocation, I always liked science a lot. As a child, I was very interested in animals. When I was 15-16 years old, I wrote a two-volume book on zoology, which of course was never published. Later on, I did not study biology, but telecommunications engineering, which was considered better for me.

I never had to make an effort to make compatible my professional scientific activity, with my religious faith, as the fields where I have worked (computer science and communications) do not have points of friction with religion. But if we talk about my scientific knowledge in general, yes, sometimes I had to make an effort, although I always found a reasonable solution. I do not mean that the solutions I found are the only possible ones, or even that they are the right ones. But the fact that I did find a solution to a problem implies that a solution exists, although it may not be the only one or the right one.

Q: You have argued that, although science cannot and will never prove the existence of God (because the object of study of science is the material world), it does currently provide inklings that point to the existence of God. For example, you say that the universe seems specifically designed to support life (“fine tuning"). Could it be said that, paradoxically for many, we have more reasons today to believe than they had in the times of Thomas Aquinas or Teresa of Jesus?

A: We may have today more scientific reasons, but at that time they had many philosophical reasons. Just now philosophy is downcast. Some, like Stephen Hawking, say that it is dead. In fact, it’s Hawking who is dead, not philosophy.

Today we have scientific inklings about the existence of God, but we must distinguish inklings from proof. In court, that distinction is clear: you can't prove anything with inklings, you can suspect what probably happened, but to prosecute and convict a person one needs proof, not inklings. What science gives us about God are inklings, not proof.

One of these inklings is fine tuning. Some time ago, Fred Hoyle (one of the creators of the steady-state theory of cosmology, which was abandoned), usually considered an atheist, says that the origin of life is so rare that one has to think of design. He said this in 1981. He can be considered one of the first to mention fine tuning, although he did not use that name.

In the 1970s and 1980s, a series of discoveries made fine-tuning seem evident. Of course, there are people now who try to explain fine-tuning in ways that have nothing to do with design. I use to offer my artificial life experiments as a parallel example: they appear to be the result of chance, but actually are designed. They are a combination of chance and design. This usually surprises people. If I can use chance in my experiments, why can't God do the same?

Some people say that chance does not exist. The mathematician Gregory Chaitin proved a randomness undecidability theorem according to which it is impossible, given a string of numbers, to prove that these numbers are random. For example, it is well known that the digits of π satisfy all the requirements of randomness. But it is obvious that they are not random, because π is a well-defined number. Its digits are what they are. The theorem is much more general, and was published in Scientific American. It looks strange that such a discovery was published in that magazine. Chaitin's conclusion could be taken as far as this: if chance is undecidable, perhaps it doesn't exist. Some go in that direction, but I prefer to think that, if I can use chance, why can’t God use it? Is he less powerful than we are?

Q: Can fine tuning be considered as indisputable science, or could some finding or set of scientific findings throw it down?

A:  As I have said in several books and posts, faith should not be based on science. It's the other way around: one first believes, then sees science from the point of view of faith. One should not base faith on science, for science is, by nature, variable. So, a faith based on science could be in danger, if science changed.

Q: With this you have answered my next question: To what extent would it be convenient for a person who doubts about the existence of God to use these inklings provided by science to decide on the affirmative?

A:  I can give you a concrete example: Georges Lemaître, a Belgian priest, was the first, in 1931, to propose the Big Bang theory (although he did not call it by that name, which was later given by Fred Hoyle). That theory was not established until Gamow, Alpher and Herman made two predictions resulting from the theory: the average composition of the universe and the existence of the cosmic background radiation. These predictions were verified during the sixties. In the early 1950s, when the Big Bang theory began to be considered seriously, Pope Pius XII gave a speech, suggesting that the Big Bang theory could be a scientific proof of Creation. Shortly after, there was a meeting between Lemaître and the Pope, where Lemaître is suspected of having said something like this: Don't say that the Big Bang theory proves Creation, because religion should not be supported by science. We do not know whether these words were spoken or not, because no one was present at their meeting. What we do know is that, shortly after, Pius XII said in another conference that science will never be able to prove the existence of God. So, if the suspicions are true, Pius XII backed out from considering the Big Bang theory as proof, and perhaps Lemaître was the person who convinced him.

In other words, faith should not be based on science. And science, of course, should not be based on faith. The proof of this is, there are many scientists who are not believers. Not as many as is sometimes thought, but there are many.

Q: Since the beginning of your scientific career to the present date, how has the proportion of atheist, agnostic and believer scientists changed (if it has changed)?

A: Perhaps right now the proportion of believing scientists is decreasing. I don't have current data, but I know that in 1914 a survey was conducted in the United States, and it came out that about half scientists were believers, and the other half were not. In 2009 they repeated the same survey, with the same questions, to a population of American scientists, and the result was approximately the same. In other words, things hadn't changed much in almost a century. However, I think that atheism is now rising, not just in science, but everywhere. From 2009 to now, I think the number of non-believing scientists has increased, but I have no actual data.

(To be continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment