|Tree of life|
In this context, we must distinguish three things:
- The scientific theory of evolution, which is strongly supported by data from other sciences, such as embryology, comparative anatomy, paleontology, biogeography, or molecular biology (DNA analysis).
- The claim that evolution is a consequence of pure chance, which is not a scientific theory, but philosophical, although its supporters claim that it is scientific.
- The assertion that evolution is an example of design, which is not a scientific theory either, but philosophical. The supporters of intelligent design argue that it is scientific.
To solve this dilemma we would have to answer one of the following questions:
• Is there a way to prove scientifically that evolution is a consequence of chance, rather than design?
• Is there a way to prove scientifically that evolution is a consequence of design, rather than chance?